- Guided tour (Small group or individual)
- Duration: Full day tour including refreshments and a light lunch
- Cost will be advised as it will depend on the size of the group
- Bookings: E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or on site at registration
- More tours are available on website: www.timutravel.co.za
Cradle of Humankind boasts a rich fossil history thanks to the rare preservation conditions of the area’s dolomitic limestone ridges. Although our hominin ancestors roamed throughout the African continent, the preservation of their remains in the Cradle of Humankind is particularly striking. The fossil sites here have produced more hominin fossils than any other site in the world. There are 15 fossil sites in the core area.
Sterkfontein Caves: This famous fossil site was originally explored by lime prospectors in the 1890s but its significance in terms of fossil finds was not immediately understood. However, once evidence of hominin fossils began to surface, the Sterkfontein Caves became an exciting and rewarding area of excavation. Over the past 100 years they have yielded the popular finds known as Mrs Ples and Little Foot, hundreds of hominin and animal remains, as well as stone tools.